Saturday 17 January 2009

Reg 33 visit

I spent part of this morning doing a Reg 33 visit. These are visits that councillors make to children's homes (in this case a respite care facility) every month. Its part of our Corporate Parenting role. The visits are unannounced and I am one of a team of four councillors who visit our facility in Fairfield. It is good to have a chance to do this as either you are impressed or, if there is anything going wrong, you have the chance to change things to help the children and young people in our care. I came away today full of admiration for the staff that do work like this. It must be very difficult to look after a group of young people with various disabilities and behavioural issues. I know I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the location of such a facility should not really be disclosed on a blog posting. Even if a specific street number hasn't been given - Children's Homes should not be advertised in this way.

Paula Keaveney said...

take your point. Local people know where this is of course but actually the story is not affected by removing the street details, which I have done.

Paula Keaveney said...

take your point. Local people know where this is of course but actually the story is not affected by removing the street details, which I have done.