Monday 8 June 2009

European Elections

When I went to sleep last night, after getting home from the Liverpool count, it looked like the BNP hadn't quite managed to get an MEP elected here.

When I woke up this morning the first thing I heard was a radio interview with the odious Nick Griffin celebrating his election.

I realise the BNP is a legal party and is entitled to stand etc etc .. but that doesn't stop me feeling really sick.

Hopefully Griffin and his colleague from Yorkshire will fail to make an impact or will be exposed more widely for what they are. I truly believe many of those voting for them didn't realise exactly what they stand for.

Sadly, and I suppose I am doing this too, his election rather overshadowed the other results. Chris Davies MEP, the Lib Dem who exposed the expenses scandal in the European Parliament, was deservedly re elected. We didn't manage to get a second North West seat, although I am tempted to say that Chris' work rate equals that of several other MEPs combined.

No comments: